The Midland Theatre
The Midland Theatre opened in Kansas City in 1927, and reigned for decades the largest historic theater within 250 miles of the city. The theatre was constructed in a Renaissance Revival style, and was well known for its over 500,000 feet of gold leaf, five giant hand-cut crystal chandeliers, art objects and precious antiques, and spectacular wood and plaster work. The theatre was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977, but by 1981 had become vacant, and fell into significant disrepair and blight in the ensuing decades.
In the mid-2000’s, The Cordish Companies took over the Midland, and embarked on a $28 million project to restore it to its former glory. In late 2008, the renovated Midland re-opened to acclaim as a live performance venue. The project has been cited nationwide for its innovative work in design and engineering to sustain this important historic structure for generations to come.